What should I do first if I am hurt by someone else?

Document who hit you. Call the police. Report and record all the information from the incident. Then call us! See our Five Steps After an Accident.

Why should I hire a personal injury lawyer?

The other side hires professionals and you should, too. Injuries are complicated. Communicating with the responsible party or their insurance company is time consuming and stressful. Let a professional take on the professionals on the other side. Our first consultation is free. We don’t often handle cases that require a monetary retainer, and if there is no monetary recovery at the end of your case, there is no fee.

What are your fees?

Our fees are contingent upon the recovery and the type of case involved. We receive a portion of the settlement or award. Again, if the is no recovery, there is no fee.

How long will it take to resolve my case?

This question is impossible to answer without knowing the facts unique to each case. Each case is different. However, it primarily depends upon the extent of your injuries and how long it takes for you to recover.

Will I have to go to court?

For most cases the client never sees the judge. We may go on your behalf, but you rarely need to appear.

What should I do if a lawyer contacts me about my injury/accident?

If a lawyer contacts you out the blue (a cold call), be very suspicious. Never hire an attorney before you have checked their credentials. You can see my State Bar License (Opens a new window) Profile and my Better Business Bureau rating here (Opens a new window).

In what areas of law do you have experience?

My main areas of focus are personal injury and workers compensation.

Can I try to handle the claim for my injury on my own?

Yes, you can. But you will be at a huge disadvantage taking on an insurance professional who handles claims 365 days a year.

The insurance company contacted me and wants to give me a check and settle my case. What should I do?

Contact us. The initial consultation is always free. There are three situations where you should seek advice. When the insurance company wants you to do something you don’t want to do. When you want the insurance company to do something it won’t do. When the insurance company offers you money. Don’t take a settlement check before consulting an attorney.

The insurance company wants to interview me and take a recorded statement. What should I do?

You have an obligation to cooperate with your insurance company, which may include giving a recorded statement. But you have no obligation to do so to the other party’s insurance company.

The insurance company wants me to sign a medical authorization. What is that and should I sign it?

A medical authorization allows a third party to acquire, permanently, your medical records. It is rarely to your benefit to let the other party’s insurance have an authorization without placing restrictions on how long it lasts and what records it can acquire.

What is my case worth?

This is another question which is impossible to answer without knowing the facts unique to each person and case. Typical factors which can affect the value include how badly the person was injured, who is at fault, will the person miss time from work, and if so, how long and what is their rate of pay, how much will medical treatment cost, does the person fully recover or will they lose earnings and incur medical expense in the future.

I was hurt on someone’s property. What should I do?

Contact the owner of the property to report the incident and to acquire the insurance company’s information. See a doctor. Then, contact our office. The first consultation is always free.